Here are some tips on how to clean a hot tub & get it in TOP SHAPE for the soaking season:
1. Purge your Spa:
Before Draining, put a Spa Purge agent into your hot tub to clean out bacteria from the plumbing lines. We like Clean Start by Silk Balance.
2. Drain your hot tub:
Remember to turn off the power to your hot tub first! Follow our handy guide on How to Drain a Hot Tub
3. Clean & Sanitize the surface of your spa:
A soft rag or a nylon scrubber should easily remove most dirt on your hot tub shell. Pay special attention to the water lines where sticky build-up can occur. We recommend cleaning the inside of your hot tub with a solution that does not create suds and is not abrasive. For hard-to-clean stains, try this Brilliance Surface Cleaner for hard to remove stains or Natural Chemistry’s Clean and Perfect Spray for a more natural clean. After cleaning, rinse the hot tub thoroughly to get rid of any cleaning solution residue.
4. Clean your hot tub Pillows:
Remove your pillows from the spa. (Be careful as your pillows might be fastened with a plastic screw!) Body oils can be removed with a mild soap and water solution. ALWAYS rinse off the spa pillows thoroughly to remove any soap residue.
5. Clean & Protect Your Cover:
- Remove your hot tub cover from the spa and spray the cover with a hose to loosen any dirt & debris.
- Use a very mild soap solution (try one teaspoon dish-washing liquid with two gallons of 3. water), or baking soda along with a large sponge or soft bristle brush & scrub the top of the vinyl in a circular motion.
- Do not let the vinyl dry with a soap film on it before it can be rinsed clean.
- Scrub the cover’s perimeter and side flaps. Rinse clean with water.
- Rinse off the underside of the cover with water only (use no soap), and wipe it clean with a dry rag.
- To condition & protect your cover, apply 303 Vinyl Protectant.
Take note of any rips & tears in the vinyl of your cover as these issues can cause loss of heat to your hot tub. Check out our Cover Check-up List to see if it’s time to replace your cover.
6. Clean the exterior cabinet:
Wipe down your cabinet, spraying it with a mild cleanser made from soap & water to remove any stains & residue. Spray 303 Vinyl Protectant on your cabinet to make it shine like new again! Nothing makes a cabinet look better than 303!
7. Clean your Filters:
Depending on the type of Hot Tub you have, your filter requires different care & cleaning. Refer to your owner’s manual for proper care, or read up on the most common filter care for the hot tubs we carry.