Here are some tips on how to clean a hot tub & get it in TOP SHAPE for the soaking season:
1. Purge your Spa:
Before Draining, put a Spa Purge agent into your hot tub to clean out bacteria from the plumbing lines. We like Clean Start by Silk Balance.
2. Drain your hot tub:
Remember to turn off the power to your hot tub first! Follow our handy guide on How to Drain a Hot Tub
3. Clean & Sanitize the surface of your spa:
A soft rag or a nylon scrubber should easily remove most dirt on your hot tub shell. Pay special attention to the water lines where sticky build-up can occur. We recommend cleaning the inside of your hot tub with a solution that does not create suds and is not abrasive. For hard-to-clean stains, try this Brilliance Surface Cleaner for hard to remove stains or Natural Chemistry’s Clean and Perfect Spray for a more natural clean. After cleaning, rinse the hot tub thoroughly to get rid of any cleaning solution residue.
4. Clean your hot tub Pillows:
Remove your pillows from the spa. (Be careful as your pillows might be fastened with a plastic screw!) Body oils can be removed with a mild soap and water solution. ALWAYS rinse off the spa pillows thoroughly to remove any soap residue.
5. Clean & Protect Your Cover:
- Remove your hot tub cover from the spa and spray the cover with a hose to loosen any dirt & debris.
- Use a very mild soap solution (try one teaspoon dish-washing liquid with two gallons of 3. water), or baking soda along with a large sponge or soft bristle brush & scrub the top of the vinyl in a circular motion.
- Do not let the vinyl dry with a soap film on it before it can be rinsed clean.
- Scrub the cover’s perimeter and side flaps. Rinse clean with water.
- Rinse off the underside of the cover with water only (use no soap), and wipe it clean with a dry rag.
- To condition & protect your cover, apply 303 Vinyl Protectant.
Take note of any rips & tears in the vinyl of your cover as these issues can cause loss of heat to your hot tub. Check out our Cover Check-up List to see if it’s time to replace your cover.
6. Clean the exterior cabinet:
Wipe down your cabinet, spraying it with a mild cleanser made from soap & water to remove any stains & residue. Spray 303 Vinyl Protectant on your cabinet to make it shine like new again! Nothing makes a cabinet look better than 303!
7. Clean your Filters:
Depending on the type of Hot Tub you have, your filter requires different care & cleaning. Refer to your owner’s manual for proper care, or read up on the most common filter care for the hot tubs we carry.
Did you know: Our Factory-Certified Technicians can take care of your spa for you! Inquire about our Spa Valet services to have your hot tub cared for as often as every week or just one time!